Chicago Travel Guide || wicker park & bucktown
Here is our take on our favorite haunts in the Wicker Park & Bucktown neighborhoods. It is just our 2 cents on what we think you should put on the EAT | SEE | STAY list. Have fun exploring our handsome city.
We love these hilarious banners. Check them all out over here.
- Ada Street – Hidden gem, and we mean hidden, lovely space & small plates for sharing [R&H review]
- Bangers & Lace – Good solid pub food with a great selection of beers [R&H review]
- Big Star – the best ‘taco & marg’ in town. Do yourself a favor, catch the train downtown from ORD, get off at Damen, head across the street & kick-off your vakay starting here [R&H review], then taxi it to your accommodation. It will be the best welcoming to a city you can have.
- Black Dog Gelato – best ice-cream in town, get the salted caramel & mexican hot chocolate.
- Bluebird – Great beer selection & bar food to boot. Lovely interior [R&H review]
- Bongo Room – Hit it up for brunch, but go hungry, decadent dishes & huge portions [R&H review]
- Bristol - Warm wood lined dining room serving up seasonal delights. Great cocktails & wine list. We go for the monkey-bread alone [R&H review].
- Carriage House – Southern modern deliciousness [R&H review]
- Hollywood Grill - An all-time-fave grease&spoon. We go for the toasted cheese & fries for a hangover cure [R&H review]
- Hot Chocolate – Excellent burgers, but the desserts rock here.
- Lillie Q’s – finger lickin’ BBQ with great sides.
- Mana Food Bar – Amazing vegetarian food. Get the sliders.
- Mott Street - Asian Street / Comfort food. Good Stuff.
- Schwa – World best BYOB. Modern fine dining in a casual atmosphere [they play black sabbath]. Good luck with the reservations [R&H review]
- Takashi - Lovely intimate french-japanese restaurant with a Top Chef Master at the helm [R&H review]
- Trencherman - Housed in a former bath-house, the interior is worth the visit alone – great food, beer & cocktails.
- Violet Hour – Beautiful, speak-easy cocktail bar with tasty craft cocktails.
Insiders tip: Start with cocktails at Violet hour. Then head to Bristol for dinner & finish-off with dessert at Hot Chocolate.
- Dose Market – Every weekend there is a new collection of Vendors based on a theme.
- Coming soon the Bloomingdale Trail: Think NYC Highline : )
- Festivals & Events: There are loads of summer based activities in this area check lists for details
- This is a great wander+walk+window shop kinda area.
- Main streets for shopping are centered around Damen / Milwaukee / North Ave intersections [lots of fancy stores G-Star / Marc Jacobs / Joe Jeans / Alexis Bittar / Lululemon / Intermix / Scoop etc.]
- And over on Division Street between Ashland & Western [more small business stores] Get out there and explore on foot.
- Grab groceries & tasty treats at Olivia’s Market or Plenty
- Wicker Park / Bucktown Chamber Commerce: Great website
- Wicker Park Bucktown Insider’s Guide: All things Wicker Park / Bucktown
- Time Out Chicago: Wicker Park / Bucktown Guide
- Chicago Magazine: Guide to eat / see / play in Wicker Park, along with Division Street, & Milwaukee Arts District
How awesome is this map – buy it here from the talented Joe Mills.
ABOUT THESE GUIDES: We will be updating as things close/open, & our taste changes. You can see other Chicago Neighborhood Guides here.