Chicago Travel Guide || west town & ukie village
Here is our take on our favorite haunts in the West Town & Ukrainian Village neighborhoods. It is just our 2 cents on what we think you should put on the EAT | SEE | STAY list. Have fun exploring our handsome city.
We love these hilarious banners. Check them all out over here.
- Arami - Lovely little japanese spot.
- Bite Cafe – Casual, cozy interior, good for any meal [R&H Review].
- Breakfast Club – It’s an institution. Good service & a great american breakfast [R&H review]
- Breakfast House – Nothing fancy just good food.
- Coalfire Pizza – Great thin crust wood fire oven pizza [R&H review].
- Chickpea - Service is a bit slow, but great homemade Kufta & Falafel sandwiches.
- Dark Matter / Star Lounge – Try the Unicorn Blood – fave coffee we drink it daily, and right around the corner from our house.
- Fiores – A stones throw from our house so we visit frequently. Great sandwiches.
- Homestead – Hard to find, as it is above another Restaurant. Great food & Cocktails [the carrot & gin is brilliant]. Farm-to-table, some food is grown on the roof.
- Hoosier Mama - A cute little storefront with delicious pies of all sorts. Take one to go – or snag one of the few tables for a slice. [R&H review]
- Matchbox - It is a tiny bar – well the size of a matchbox. Great cocktails – got it on the GQ Mag list of best bars in America. The Silverpalm next-door is a train car turning dining room where you can dine. [R&H review]
- Mexique – Currently [Nov 2013 - Chef is competing on Top Chef]. Mexican meets french [R&H review]
- Uncle Mike’s Place – Go for the Filipino menu. Yummo!
- Phil’s Last Stand – I have an addiction to the ‘fatso burger’, best burger stand in Chicago [R&H review]
- Ruxbin - We take all our guests here. Casual elegance – we love it. They are constantly winning awards and the hearts & stomachs of everyone. Oh and it is BYOB. [R&H review]
- Yuzu – BYOB cheap & cheerful sushi & robata grill food, they deliver if you are in the area.
- There is a Louis Sullivan Church worth visiting if in the area.
- Redmoon Theater – Catch a show here for a visual spectacle filler with pageantry, elaborate sets & costumes.
- Festivals & Events: There are loads of summer based activities in this area check lists for details
- Alcala’s – Who need Texas for western wear. Worth a stop – just for the window shopping alone. Look for the giant horse out front.
- Armanetti’s – Great liquor store with a decent wine selection at good prices.
- Grand Ave for Vintage Furniture & architectural artifacts.
- Green Grocer – Small independent ‘green’ grocer featuring locally sourced goods.
- Pasta Putana – Handmade pasta & sauces.
- Paperishmess – Art gallery & handmade wares.
- RR#1 – We love this gift store great for stocking stuffers. Housed in an old pharmacy.
- Sprout Home - Everything & anything for the garden, along with flowers & gifts.
- Study Hall -Mens, Women & homewards.
- Urban Source – Wallpapers, fabrics etc. for your decorating needs.
- Wright Auctions – Visit to see what is up for auction. One of the best auction houses in the world for 20th & 21st century modern.
- West Town Chamber Commerce: Great website
- Time Out Chicago: West Town / Ukrainian Village
- Chicago Magazine: Guide to eat / see / play in Ukrainian Village
ABOUT THESE GUIDES: We will be updating as things close/open, & our tastes change. You can see other Chicago Neighborhood Guides here.